NSJWE Application date extended till May 26th, 2017!
Please read all the below audition information prior to filling out your application.
***Auditions are open to students in grade 6 through High School.***
Auditions may be emailed, Dropboxed, or shared via google drive to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application forms should be submitted online.
- Fees are $150 for all applicants and will be due UPON ACCEPTANCE INTO THE NSJWE. Fee’s are no longer due with the NSJWE application.
- Our uniform requires an NSJWE sweatshirt. If you require this item, please include an additional $25 with your application fee.
- For students accepted into the ensemble, fees are due (via email money transfer) August 1st after all positions are filled and confirmed. Please note once accepted, all fee’s are non refundable.
ALL STUDENTS ARE REQUIRED TO PAY AN AUDITION FEE. If this is not paid your audition will not be listened to.
Audition fees are $10 ($5 if your band director is a member of the NSBA. Please check with them before sending your fee)
Audition fees may be emailed to Danielle Chute- email@example.com on or before May 26, 2017.
- One short challenging excerpts from a method book or band music of your choice.
- Required audition material found below.
- Concert Bb, Ab, and F Major scales as well as the Bb Chromatic Scale, in two octaves where possible (Scales should be from memory).
Percussionists should prepare an excerpt on snare drum and one on mallets and the above scales on a mallet instrument.
Please note- The excerpts are meant to challenge the applicant. We understand that they are challenging and we encourage musicians to prepare them to the best of their ability. All applications will be considered. We are looking for potential. It is not necessary to have every note perfect.
Audition Material was updated on March 1st, 2017
All auditions will be submitted via recording. This allows musicians to give themselves multiple opportunities to show us their best work. Audition must follow all of the steps above, however your audition may be pre-recorded and emailed to us.
Often band teachers will be able to help with recording these auditions. If you chose to do it on your own you may use any recording software you have access to however your recording should be saved in .mp3 or .wma format if at all possible.
You may send your audio file as one continuous audio file or you may save each scale and piece as their own audio file. In either option please name your files with your name and a description.
- ie. bethgillis_fullaudition.mp3 OR bethgillis_GMajorScale.mp3
During your recording please state the follow:
- At the beginning of your recording please state your full name, age, school you will attend next year
- Before each scale please indicate which one you are performing. Please perform as many octaves as possible. This will help you demonstrate the range you have on your instrument.
- Before each piece please indicate the title and composer of each piece. If your pieces come from a method book please indicate which method book it is from.
- You will not be required to perform sight reading if your submit a recorded audition however ALL scales and two pieces are required.
Suggested recording software: